Why Debate Calvinists?

As some may know, I have been on break from blogging while I re-write my analysis on Romans 9-11. I am doing so in preparation for my debate with Turretinfan. I look forward to getting back and finishing up the Owen/Atonement topic, but I realized I couldn't effectively blog and prepare for the debate simultaneously. But I thought I would pop in and mention why I debate Calvinists. I have debated Calvinists either in person or over the web for many years.

It's not to convince Calvinists to switch to Arminianism. If that happens, God be praised, but that's not my goal. I don't debate them to clear up misconceptions about Arminianism. Many hold mistaken notions of Arminianism, which I am happy to correct, but that's not why I debate. It's not because I think Calvinism is dangerous, walking a tight rope over hell with banana peels for shoes. While I would like the reformed to reform a tad bit more, I am happy to say they are dead center in the middle of orthodoxy. It's certainly not that I dislike Calvinists. If these debates can't be done in love, we dishonor the gift Christ gave, and I want none of it. It's not because I think I am smarter than Calvinists, or want to show off my amazing mental powers. The Lord has gifted many Calvinists with abilities and education I couldn't dream of, Turretinfan being a chart topper.

So why do it? My discussions with Calvinists have challenged me to reflect on the many aspects of God's word. What do it get out of debating Calvinists? God's standard gift: rare enlightenment.

Comments

Juan said…
Just found you site via Billy's blog. Looking forward to reading and learning!

Juan
Godismyjudge said…
Hi Juan,

Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy and if you have any questions, ask away.

God be with you,
Dan
kangaroodort said…
I am in full agreement with you on this Dan.

God Bless,
Ben
Jnorm said…
I wish you well in your debate. I know how hard it is to focus on more than one thing.



JNORM888
Godismyjudge said…
Dear Jnorm,

Same to you and your defining/defense of Eastern Orthodoxy.

God be with you,
Dan
Godismyjudge said…
Dear Ben,

Glad to hear God is blessing you through discussions with Calvinists as well.

God be with you,
Dan
R.A. Servin said…
Dan, I'm don't really like to label myself as a Calvinist because I don't agree with everything he taught, but to make it simple I'm a Calvinist. I've read a couple of your posts today and I appreciate your exegesis of the texts that you have gone over. Well written brother. It'd be interesting to read your thoughts on a post that I wrote yesterday on my blog. ("Are we victims or God haters prior to regeneration?") looking forward to reading more...

~Roger
Godismyjudge said…
Dear Rodger,

You should try calling yourself an Arminian! Labels are an easy way to identify ourselves, but can sure carry a lot of baggage.

Thank you for stopping by. I will take a peek at your post.

God be with you,
Dan

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility - Evaluation of Arminian Grounds for LFW

John Owen - Death of Death in the Death of Christ

The Equivocation of Regeneration