Done with Owen, Edwards Next

Whelp, that wraps up the series on John Owen’s book, the Death of Death in the Death of Christ. Wow, 46 posts! That’s quite a journey. This has been much more in-depth than I anticipated. But it has also been more rewarding than I thought as well.

I chose Owen, because Calvinists often cite Owen’s book as the best out there on Limited Atonement. Also, older Calvinist theologians tend to be heavyweights at Polemics, which is what interests me. I wanted to highlight some of the problems with Owen’s arguments and present an alternative to his view that I think is more faithful to scripture. If anyone thinks I made mistakes in analyzing Owen’s arguments, or thinks they can provide stronger arguments than Owen, I welcome comments.

I will be offline for about a week or so. After that, God willing, I plan on starting reviewing another classic Calvinist work: Jonathan Edwards’ The Freedom of the Will.
If anyone wonders why I am blogging through Calvinist books, here are two quotes that I think will help explain.

“So by the friction of comparison we may strike a spark which will illuminate [a topic] for us, and once we see it clearly we can fix it firmly in our own minds.” - Plato

“If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton

Comments

Jnorm said…
You gave some good rejoinders on Owen. They do mention that book alot.




JNORM888

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility - Evaluation of Arminian Grounds for LFW

John Owen - Death of Death in the Death of Christ

The Equivocation of Regeneration