Redskins Name Change


I grew up in the DC area and I’ve been following the Redskins for as long as I can remember.  As a Cowboys fan, they are our main rival. I’m Mexican-American and brown skinned, but if I get a bit of sun, I don’t really burn, but turn a nice reddish/gold.

As a kid, our family vacations were often to Laredo to see family and I remember fondly visiting my Tio Pete in Nuevo-Laredo.  To me, Laredo was one big city divided by the river. 

What’s the difference between the Aztec and the Navajo?  The Aztec’s were said to have come down from the north and there are linguistic similarities.  Sure, they were different nations, but were they different races?  I don’t think so, any more than I think the Germans and Swiss are different races. 

Am I Native American or am I Hispanic?  Even census and school questions still seem to have confusion on this.  If you say you are Native American, you are supposed to provide a tribe.  Is Mexico a tribe?  Is Tio Pete a different race than me?  Did my race change every time I crossed the border?  Something is wrong here – indigenous people are one race divided politically into nations.

Historically, what happened between Mexico and America is very similar to what happened between American and the tribes.  A supposed boarder, which America agreed to, then crossed.  A war, which America instigated.  What was a senator from Tennessee doing at the Alamo?  A war, which one side had to fight out of self-respect, but knowing they couldn’t win.  An alleged treaty, that was broken.  Land and resources grabbed by European-Americans, people captured and sort of annexed as second-class citizens, without the consent of the governed.

Look at the Marine fight song – “From the halls of Montezuma”, sung with such pride and gusto.  Are people really proud about that part of history?  I’m sure people really are proud of the bravery and sacrifices of soldiers, but want to overlook some aspects.  In the same way, when fans sing Hail to the Redskins, I’m sure they mean well, but they overlook what they need to focus on.  Was the term Redskin used in a disparaging way?  If someone calls me a brown skin (or a redskin during the summer), I’m going to have an issue with it.  So, please, change the name.

Comments

Jesse Albrecht said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility - Evaluation of Arminian Grounds for LFW

John Owen - Death of Death in the Death of Christ

The Equivocation of Regeneration