Wrap Up of Edwards Book Review

I wanted to wrap up this review of Edwards by discussing the roles of philosophy and scripture. Reviewing John Owen’s book lead me to dive into scripture. This book review was philosophical in nature, as was Edwards’ book. Although I enjoyed this book review, I miss digging into scripture. For the most part, Edwards makes his arguments either without appealing to scripture or only based on a cursory review of a passage. In fairness to Edwards he goes into scripture on two topics that we didn’t get into because I agree with him: divine foreknowledge and impeccability. But other than that Edwards barely touches scripture.

But since Edwards is dealing with the broad topic of the will, his book impacts the way we interpret thousands of passages of scripture. Either Calvinists or Arminians are making a categorical mistake when it comes to the will. As I said in the beginning, if CFW is incoherent, LFW is biblical, and vice versa.

Philosophy is useful for defining terms, clarifying issues and parsing assumption from fact. The danger of philosophy is bringing a bias to scripture rather than developing one from scripture. My philosophical bias is simple: I accept whatever philosophical ideas best help me harmonize scripture. Statements about God’ sovereignty and man’s choice leads me to Molinism. Statements about original sin and depravity lead me to my ideas of choice and responsibility. But forcing an idea on scripture (let’s say moral relativism) is bad guy stuff. But I don’t think that’s what Edwards is doing. I just think he’s mistaken and inconsistent in his philosophy, which leads to his categorical mistake in understanding scripture.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dan

I appreciate what you have written here.

Fair and evenly placed.

I would add one thought about you making a distinction here between you and Edwards.

This statement is just from myself and highly suspect in any event.

I would say that your abilities to deal with this subject matter far exceed Edwards simply because we live in an era of knowledge that is readily available to you that was not to Edwards. Things are done more knowledgeably and more expediently, with a speed and swift accuracy that was not available to Edwards during his time and stay upon the earth.

He would agree with me that you have the advantage seeing you have so much more so much more quickly available to you with so many more minds of more diversity to sharpen your sense than he.

I would say that with regard to Luther,Calvin, Turrentin and other great minds of that era. I believe each would agree with me that the tools of learning with which we have to comprehend these matters far exceeds and outweighs all that was available to them as they were moved upon by the Holy Ghost that brought us in this era that great Reformation. We have them, they do not have us. To whom much is given, much is required.

Don't give up or give in, step forward and put forth the Word of the Lord, the Sword of the Spirit and remember He is not in a box nor will He be directed by our wills:::>

Act 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
Act 13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
Act 13:4 So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.
Godismyjudge said…
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, living now has its advantages, although Edwards is still renowned as the strongest Calvinist author on these issues. I pick on deceased authors for a reason. My conscience doesn't permit me to take on a man of God actively engaged in a public ministry, even if I disagree with him.

God be with you,
Dan

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility - Evaluation of Arminian Grounds for LFW

John Owen - Death of Death in the Death of Christ

The Equivocation of Regeneration