Never Knew You: Owen’s Argument 16b: Various Passages of Scripture

Owen’s Argument 16b: Various Passages of Scripture - Never Knew You

Text

Matt. vii. 23, “I will profess unto them, I never knew you
John 10:14-15 I am the good shepherd; and I know mine own, and mine own know me, even as the Father knoweth me, and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep

Owen’s Explanation

Christ knows the elect and doesn’t know the reprobate. Couldn’t the reprobate answer, don’t you remember us? You died for us.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/owen/deathofdeath.i.ix.xi.html

Refutation

Of course, God the Son is omniscient, but that’s not what these passages are talking about. “Know” is used in a special, relational sense in these passages. It’s not general knowledge, but intimate knowledge. It’s true that Christ has a relational knowledge with believers alone. They are united with in faith. This relational knowledge brings fellowship, intimacy and the blessings Christ procured by His death.

1John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

This knowledge pertains to the application of Christ’s blood to the believer, not Christ’s shedding of blood on the cross. While it’s true believers alone have this special relationship with Christ, this does not mean God didn’t love others, nor does it mean that Christ didn’t die for others. It just means they won’t receive the blessings Christ provided them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility - Evaluation of Arminian Grounds for LFW

John Owen - Death of Death in the Death of Christ

The Equivocation of Regeneration